The anointing is the tangible power of God that comes upon a person to change him or empower him for service.
But you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be witnesses to Me in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth (Acts 1:8).
The Holy Spirit’s anointing is God’s extra touch on your mind, skill, effort and memory. It is God’s supernatural extra added to your best.
The Spirit’s anointing affects you physically (Isaiah 40:29-31). Prayer, trust and waiting on the Lord removes weariness and renews your physical strength.
The Spirit’s anointing enables you mentally (John 14:26). It makes you alert, creative, and gives you the ability to say with unusual clarity what God wants said. It is available while speaking or writing.
The Spirit’s anointing touches your emotions. (Romans 5:5). It gives a special tenderness and comfort plus a holy boldness.
The Spirit’s anointing sensitizes you spiritually to be aware of God’s presence and to experience God’s peace and joy even in the midst of the worst kind of adversity (Romans 8:14-16; Hebrews 1:9).
The Anointing Will Give You Ability Above and Beyond Your Own Ability
- Elijah outran the chariot (1 Kings 18:46).
- Samson slew the lion (Judges 14:6).
- Daniel and his friends were ten times wiser than all of the other politicians (Daniel 1:20).
- David’s anointed music caused tormenting demons to flee from king Saul (1 Samuel 16:23).
- Peters Shadow healed the sick (Acts 5:15). The Holy Spirit’s anointing is not for the lazy, the careless or the disobedient. It is for the hungry, the diligent and the fully committed.
Hindrances to the Anointing and Sensitivity to the Holy Spirit:
1) Disobedience – “To obey is better than sacrifice... because you have rejected the word of the Lord, He has also rejected you from being king…. The Spirit of the Lord departed from Saul…” (1 Samuel 15:22-23; 16:14).
2) Carnality – “…lest there be a fornicator or profane person like Essau, who for one morsel of food sold his birthright” (Hebrews 12:16). He put more value on earthly things than he did spiritual things. It could have been the God of Abraham, Isaac and Essau!
3) Laziness – This leads to carelessness which turns into coldness and disobedience (2 Samuel 11:1-2).
4) Worldliness – Samson lost his power, then his freedom, eyes and dignity because of worldliness and disobedience (Judges 16:19-21).
5) Religiosity – Trusting in religious rituals rather than a relationship with the living God.
6) Pride – Thinking more of yourself than you ought, this was Satan’s problem. Pride always comes before a fall (Proverbs 16:18).
How to Increase the Anointing:
- Praying the Word, praying in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues. (Ephesians 5:18-19).
- Praise and worship (Psalm 95 and 100).
- Waiting on the Lord (Acts 13:1-4; Isaiah 40:28-31).
- Being a student of the Word ( 2 Timothy 2:15).
- Continual obedience (Acts 5:32).
- Being part of the corporate anointing (Hebrews 2:12 Amp; Acts 10:44).
- Spending time around anointed people, Elisha would not let Elijah go until he received a double portion of the anointing that was on Elijah’s life (Proverbs 13:20).
Four Steps to Walking in the Anointing:
- Be aware of God’s presence (2 Corinthians 6:16).
- Be aware of God’s promptings (Romans 8:14).
- Be aware of God’s purpose (Romans 8:28).
- Be aware of God’s power working in you and flowing through you (Ephesians 3:20).
Father, I thank you for anointing us with fresh oil, and empowering us as leaders for kingdom expansion on the earth.
I thank you for giving us ability above and beyond our own ability and transitioning us into a greater realm of the supernatural and the miraculous.
“…to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen” (Ephesians 3:21).
Dr George Hill
Founder/President Victory Churches International